Monday, April 20, 2009

My view of a classmates blog

All my classmates had amusing topics from laser hair removal to the removal of board members. It was just an obstacle to find an ending article, but when it comes down to it you have to find an argument that you are passionate about. Kristine Fetiza's post about Texas education to be without influence of the board was well organized and clearly stated her opinion.

I like how the argument introduced the topic, and then addressed a solution. In the solution it was noted that the power would be transferred to someone else, I believe that just transferring the power does not change anything. The next person can easily be persuaded and corrupted just as the former board members were. I feel we need some guidelines and more check and balance on the members. It would be nice to know that these people are making decisions based on the well fair of the students and not personal gain.

Ms. Fetiza beautifully wraps up her argument with her decision on the legislation. She thinks it is better to leave elected officials in office rather than someone that we do not know as well and who was not elected by the people. I agree that we should not pass the legislation, but for different reasons. I think the focus should not be on the one's who are in control but what qualifies them for their
positions.

Reading this argument I came up with some questions. I want to know what requirements do we have for these positions, are they like the house were you only have to be
eligible to vote and 21 years old. I feel that if you are going to be approving curriculum for students you need to be required to have some experience in the educational system and have a very large college background. For my second question, I was wondering if Ms. Fetiza had a source. I think it would be nice to have something to refer to in an argument.

No comments:

Post a Comment