Thursday, April 30, 2009

Is there a limit for Renovations?

I am the type of Texan, that if I traveled outside of its state line, I would proudly say I am from Texas. When I am away from home I don't care about the stupid accent, or the negative perspectives I meet. Deep down, I admire the beauty and architecture of our capitol, it is a damn shame I did not know where the Governor's mansion was before it burned down. For the moment, my head is in conflict with my heart. Though I do believe we should restore that which we love, I feel that there is a money limit. Our State is the second largest state of the nation and with that responsibility, I feel our state government is obligated to put the citizens before landmarks.

So I was thinking, who is in control of renovations for the capitol? Like always, it starts with a fire. In 1983, a fire nearly destroyed the capitol, and our legislatures reacted with creating the State Preservation Board. Within these thirty years they have made some nice changes for the capitol, like new plumbing, stabilizing the exterior, and protecting the building against fires. They have also spent some money. In 1993, 75 million dollars was used for an "underground capitol extension," in 1995 there was a "comprehensive interior and exterior restoration" that cashed in 98 million, and in 1997 8 million went to "park like grounds." That means in a decade a total of 181 million dollars went to a building.
More recently, they have spent $3.1 million on a "security system designed to protect the perimeter." Which, by the way turned out to have design flaws.

I am not to sure I want the State Preservation Board in control of restoring the mansion. In the Senate Bill 2307, it says that previously "the preservation and maintenance of the Governor's Mansion was provided by two state agencies and one organization: the Texas Historical Commission," but recently they have given the authority to the State Preservation Board. The house so far is willing to use $27 million of the state budget for the restoration of the manor. Luckily the Senate feels that this amount is to high, and so far has only decided upon the balance of $13 million.

I feel that the hesitation of the senate just proves that they are more prestige. Over the last thirty years we have given to much money to the State Preservation Board to not have some doubt.

This argument was not inspired by one single article but about the awakening of how much our legislatures grants to restore landmarks. The large number of sources were the result of an unsettled mind on the pursuit of an answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment